Why Continue Researching?
The Road Charge Pilot successfully concluded in 2017 and offered valuable insight into researching a sustainable funding alternative to the gas tax, but also identified areas for additional research. California applied and was awarded federal grant funding to support a variety of other policy and organizational areas needing further development. Listed below are detailed explanations of the federal grant program and continued program research efforts.
FAST Act – Surface Transportation System Funding Alternatives Program
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act established the Surface Transportation System Funding Alternatives (STSFA) Program to provide grants to States or groups of States to:
- test the design, acceptance, and implementation of two or more future user-based alternative mechanisms;
- improve the functionality of the user-based alternative revenue mechanisms;
- conduct outreach to increase public awareness regarding the need for alternative funding sources for surface transportation programs and to provide information on possible approaches;
- provide recommendations regarding adoption and implementation of user-based alternative revenue mechanisms; and
- minimize the administrative cost of any potential user-based alternative revenue mechanisms.